Monday, November 30, 2009

Women's Center Update

Here is the latest on the progress of the women's center.


Eid happened, and the world basically stopped. And the world will stay stopped for just a few more days. At that point we (association president and I) hope to sign with a contractor, and start building.

However, before Eid, we were lucky enough to make some great progress!

1. The "neddi girls" and I met about a week and a half ago to discuss women's center funds. While more money will go to the actual construction than we originally thought (blame it on the bad USD exchange rate!), thanks to the extra donations from wonderful people at home, we have an additional $2,000 for the girls to spend. Everyone agreed that we will use some of this money to buy crochet needles, yarn, fabric and thread for the handicraft room. The girls had the opportunity to throw out any ideas regarding the use of the funds, and we will make decisions as the completion of the center draws near.

2. 2 members of my local association and I met to discuss the contract we will need for the center. We are looking locally (in my site) for a contractor, and my association president is currently taking bids. While the contractor will be employed to make the construction happen, the association president and I will make all purchases and handle the finances ourselves. I hope to have a more thorough update on the contractor later this week.

3. I spent a morning in Tiznit, meeting with the Ministry of Social Development delegue, and the Ministry of Health. Both are pleased to hear that construction is to begin on the women's center. Sometime in the next 2 weeks I will bring an official request from the association to the Ministry of Social Development for equipment and machines. At that point, the delegue will schedule a meeting to discuss exactly what their donation will be. The Ministry of Health is sending equipment to my local health clinic to be stored for use in the health room of the women's center.

More to come!

3 comments:

Stephanie H said...

YAH!!!!!

Dad said...

Yah again!!!

AmyLuvsTrees said...

Eeeee!!! SO EXCITED! I am keeping my friends in this area updated because they are curious to see how its going!! :)