Friday, November 13, 2009

Tea, Tea with Jam, Jam and Bread!


Well I'm just happy as can be this morning. I woke up at 6am this morning singing "tea, tea with jam, jam and bread. dun dun. tea, tea with jam, jam and bread...." Who can identify where THAT is from???

So I made myself some tea, tea with jam, jam and bread, and continued on my merry way. Earl Grey tea from home, apricot jam, and great homemade wheat bread from my host aunt!


Ok, so maybe I didn't drink my tea out of a china tea cup, and have berries sprinkled around me...but you get the idea!

So in my happy state, I thought I would take a second to thank everyone who is making this women's center a reality. The women in my community and I appreciate your generosity more than you can possible imagine.

Just think. Close your eyes and think that you are a 40-something year old woman. You have 4 kids.....2 of which never got to go to school because they had to help shepherd the sheep as they grew up. The other 2 are in school now, but you can't help them with their homework because, unfortunately, YOU never had the opportunity to learn to read and write. So you watch them struggle, helpless to relieve their frustrations.

You watch TV, but don't understand the language of the newscasters....you want to read the Bible (or in this case the Quran), but you don't know how to read. And you want more than anything to help sustain your family economically, but how?

Maybe you have a baby who needs to go to the doctor for vaccinations. But maybe you hurt your back from 40 years of labor in the fields, so it is too hard for you to walk the 3 miles to the doctor. And you don't have a car. And your husband is off in a big city trying to earn a living for you and your children. So the vaccination will just have to wait.

But thanks to the immense generosity of my wonderful family, friends, collegues, acquaintances, and people I don't even know, this will all change.


2 comments:

lcmochapup said...

OMG Lauren just rented the Sound of Music yesterday!
What are the odds?

Anonymous said...

Best movie ever! And I miss just randomly breaking out into song with you!
Love, Mom