Friday, November 20, 2009

Buta Saga

And here is what happened last week. (Besides fully funding the women's center!)

In order to appreciate this story, it necessary to understand how money works here. Basically, credit cards are useless. Even in a big city like Agadir, I can't use my credit card....well, anywhere. So when I need money I need to use my Peace Corps bank card in Tiznit, and make sure to take out enough to last me until my next trip to Tiznit.

So I took out 400 dirhams about 2 1/2 weeks ago (approx. $50), thinking that this would definitely last me until my next trip to Tiznit. Well, then I ended up spending a bunch on art supplies for my middle schoolers, buying a lot of food to host some Peace Corps friends at my house, and paying for my water bill etc. Then, last Weds, i realized I had just 25 dirhams (enough for my taxi ride to Tiznit), and 10 dirhams to last me until I make that trip. We are talking about $1.25 to last me oohhhhh, about a week and a half.

Now, I had some vegetables and milk and dry grains in my house, so I wasn't too worried about food. But then I was heating water to bathe, and 'lo and behold my buta gas ran out. And it was cold-ish and almost dark. That meant no hope of getting my host dad to bring a new buta up from souk that evening.

So I went to my host family's house and they, being the kind folk they are, gave me a mini-buta gas to use that night until my host dad could bring a new buta up from souk the next day.



The only problem is, buta gas tanks cost 40 dirhams, and I had only 10!!!! So the next morning, I went to my fav. store guy, who also happens to be my buta gas guy. And I was like, "OK, so here's the deal....." and basically told him I have no buta and no money to pay for a new one.

And that ultra nice guy told me, "No problem, pay whenever you can."

Isn't that tooooo nice!?!?!?

So I got my buta gas. Yay! And I'm going to Tiznit tomorrow and will be able to pay him back. Later I was in another store looking at hand cream, but it was too expensive for my 10 dirham budget. The store guy immediately told me to take it, and pay for it whenever I can.

Can you even IMAGINE that in Chicago or Schaumburg? I walk into a Walgreens, and um, I'd like this lotion, but I don't have any money.............the clerk would laugh in my face!!!

It is times like this that I appreciate being in rural Morocco SO much.


2 comments:

Stephanie H said...

That is a fun story. I am so glad they were so nice to you and happy to help. Maybe I should try that at Target next time!

Cathy Lacki said...

had the same experience in my aunt's village in poland. the local store owner knows you so well...they just keep a running list of how much each family owes since they know everyone personally and know who to trust. so convenient!