Sunday, November 22, 2009

Not an REI Girl

So. I am a Peace Corps Volunteer. I bathe with buckets of water. I use a turkish toilet. I sleep wherever....floor, ponj, bed, anywhere. I wash all my clothes by hand. I don't wear make-up.

But I am NOT an REI girl.

It has taken me almost a year and a half to realize this. When I was packing for Peace Corps almost 2 years ago, I felt the need to leave all my cute clothes and jewelry and everything at home...and go shopping at REI. Since I've been here, I've felt bad painting my nails and blow drying my hair from time to time. REI girls don't paint their nails and blow dry their hair after pouring buckets of water over their heads to bathe. They suck it up and leave the girly stuff behind.

But, I am not an REI girl.

So I've decided to stop feeling bad. Now I paint my nails with no shame, I wear jewelry all the time, I trim my bangs, I blow dry my hair, I wear mascara when I teach, I always put lotion on my hands so they stay soft, I wear perfume once in a blue moon, and I try to look cute sometimes.
Is that so bad?????

Today, I even bought a purse!


I was on a hunt for Q-tips, and what did I find instead? A store with an honest to God purse display! Like a real purse wall. Stuffed with tissue to look nice and all. Now, I would say this store owner did a LOT with what he has to work with, which is knock off brand purses. I was just shocked. Absolutely blown away. This is the first time I have seen such a display in anything but a fancy rich-people boutique since arriving in Morocco.

I just showered the store owner with compliments, explaining to him that i worked for a "tahanut lli iznza lsac irghlan" (a store that sells expensive purses ie Coach) in America and that I am extremely impressed by his marketing and visuals.

I looked about about 50 purses, and I swear, if I still worked at Coach, I would hire this guy on the spot. He kept bringing out similar purses in new colors and styles for me to look at, and led me to a, get this, FULL LENGTH MIRROR so I could check them out. He even tried to "add-on" by showing me small luggage. I mean, we are talking all out phenomenal salesmanship. Almost brought a tear to my eye!

My purse ended up costing 100 dirhams (Like $13). And it is just SO cute.

Did I mention, I am not an REI girl?

7 comments:

lcmochapup said...

love this and love the purse!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you finally came to terms with your inner girly girl. It's OK to admit it! Be proud - bust out that nail polish! Ragged nails and blotchy dry skin are so overrated.
Love you!
Mom

Andrea said...

Hiya,

I just found this entry through the Peace Corps Journals site, and was really happy to read it! I am also by no means an REI girl, and although I'm really looking forward to joining the Peace Corps, I don't plan on completely letting go of things that I consider an essential part of taking care of myself. It's wonderful to read about how you're balancing it all.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Morocco!

Lissa said...

I am so impressed by your find! Purses purses everywhere!

AmyLuvsTrees said...

You go girl!!!! :) That is a very cute purse, by the way. hehe

Anonymous said...

Just love the purse Erin...what a great find. My girls, especially Emily love purses...they just can't have enough nor can they be big enough. Man I could go away for a weekend in a purse they deem just for daily use. Glad to see things are going well. We don't read your blog much sorry to say. We are looking forward to a visit from Carl in two weeks. He gets to spend some time at home before he deploys again. Be well. Love, Aunt Cathy

Cathy Lacki said...

LOVE it!