Saturday, December 19, 2009

Toothbrushes!

Last year, I received word from my dear mother that a great group at my elementary School, called the Make a Difference Club, wanted to choose my community in which to help make a difference!

Over the course of the summer, I received box after box of first aid supplies and toothbrushes. I have been saving them to use with the neddi (women's center) girls and the school children. Over the past 2 weeks I have had the opportunity to put the toothbrushes to good use.

First, at a neddi meeting, I gave a short toothbrushing lesson to the girls, and gave each of them a toothbrush and toothpaste. Some of them have old toothbrushes at home, but no one has toothpaste, and few of them have the motivation to brush!

We talked about the short and long term effects of brushing teeth, and the optimal way to brush teeth. "Snat twal kraygat as!" (Two times a day). They are very excited about their new toothbrushes, and wanted to send a letter to my Elementary School, thanking the students for sending such a useful gift.

The next week, I began my dental unit at the middle school. The first week we discussed the importance of toothbrushing. The local nurse came to give a talk to the students about dental hygiene. The next week, we did an experiment with Tums and vinegar to demonstrate the long-term effects of not brushing teeth. Each student also received a toothbrush and toothpaste thanks to my elementary school!

Here is one class with their new toothbrushes and toothpaste.

2 comments:

Stephanie H said...

Could you use more? Do you think they will use them?

AmyLuvsTrees said...

I love this! So amazing how exciting toothbrushes are!