Sunday, October 18, 2009

Visit!


After Ramadan, I was lucky enough have Wael visit. Egypt is close enough to Morocco, but most Egyptians have never been out here. However, Moroccans watch Egyptian TV and listen to Egyptian music, so almost everyone understands and can speak Egyptian Arabic (even though it is completely different than Moroccan Arabic!).

We got a huge charge out of various people's reactions to us. Wael looks Moroccan, like he should speak Moroccan Arabic. And I look pretty foreign, like I shouldn't. On MANY occasions people spoke to Wael in Moroccan Arabic and when he turned to me confused, I answered. And then we would move on, leaving that person scratching his head.


In Essaouira
Essaouira
Lunch with everyone in Essaouira
We rented a car to be more comfortable and save money. Neither of which happened!
The Marina in Agadir

Because we had the car we got to do cool things like go to Agadir Oufalla at night!
The road from my house to Tiznit. The first time I've been able to take pictures along the way!

Wael and Chandler bonding at my house for lunch.

2 comments:

speakmoroccan said...

It's pretty frustrating indeed how other Arabs do not make enough efforts to understand Moroccan Arabic, using the two old excuses: 1) Oh, you Moroccans speak too fast. 2) Oh, you Moroccans do not speak pure Arabic, you have a lot of French and Spanish and Berber in it.

Cathy Lacki said...

haha im sure people were so confused, love that!! the pretty blond girl breaking out her arabic, so cool!