Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sufism


So I am reading a book, called "No god but God," by Reza Aslan. It is about the "origins, evolution, and future of Islam." My friend Meredith read it in one of her Islamic Studies classes in college and she passed it along to me here in Morocco.

I DEFINITELY recommend this book for anyone who wants to know more about Islam. But I have to warn, it can be pretty dense at times. Right now, I'm reading about Sufism, a sect of Islam practiced mostly in South Asia

This passage from the book is supposed to be an explanation of Sufism, but I think it is something nice for people of all religions to read and keep in mind.

A Persion, a Turk, an Arab, and a Greek were traveling to a distant land when they began arguing over how to spend the single coin they possessed among themselves. All four craved food, but the Persian wanted to spend the coin on "angur;" the Turk, on "uzum;" the Arab, on "inab;" and the Greek, on "stafil." THe argument became heated as each man insisted on having what he desired.

A linguist passing by overheard their quarrel. "Give the coin to me," he said. "I undertake to satisfy the desires of all of you."

Taking the coin, the linguist went to a nearby shop and bought four small bunches of grapes. He then returned to the men and gave them each a bunch.

"This is my "angur!!" cried the Persian.
"But this is what I call "uzum," replied the Turk.
"You have brought me my "inab," the Arab said.
"No! This iin my language is "stafil."

All of a sudden, the men realized that what each of them had desired was in fact the same thing, only they did not know how to express themselves to each other.
- Jalal ad-Din Rumi

0 comments: