Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ramadan!

Well here we are again, almost a year since my first encounter with Ramadan.  And it’s back.  In some Arab countries, the start date of Ramadan is fixed; people know ahead of time when to begin fasting.  In Morocco, the beginning of Ramadan is decided the traditional way, by the moon.  We knew that Ramadan would start today (Saturday) or tomorrow.  So last night people all over Morocco went outside at dusk to see if they could spot the moon.  If the slightest crescent can be seen, Ramadan begins.  If not, one more day. 

 

Najma (host sister) and I went outside and spent a good 45 minutes looking for the moon, and nothing.  So, I went home, assuming Ramadan would not start until Sunday.  However, a couple of hours later, I received texts from 3 different people letting me know that the important people did in fact see the moon.  So Ramadan began today.

 

Fortunately I was prepared.  When Meredith and I were in my souk yesterday I stocked up on dates, chebekia (delicious Ramadan pastry), and the makings of harira (Ramadan soup).  So I made myself a few snacks in anticipation of my early morning meal and went to sleep.  At 4:00am this morning I had sahoor, the meal people eat before fasting begins for the day. 

 

You may ask, why in the world is Catholic Erin fasting again this year?  There are so many reasons!!!!

 

  1. I LOVE Ramadan.  The food is phenomenal.  I could seriously eat Ramadan food every day of my life. 
  2. I appreciate food and water so much more.  For anyone who has never fasted before, I recommend it, even just for a day.  The feeling you get after fasting is indescribable.  After basically being deprived of food and water all day, to be able to eat and drink whatever you want is just unbelievably amazing.  It shows how much we take easy access to food and water for granted.  I’ve never enjoyed food as much as I do after fasting. 
  3. Did you know that 900 million people in the world do not have access to clean drinking water?  Fasting gives those of use who have access to whatever we want a chance to be in solidarity with the less fortunate.  It helps us to begin to understand their pain, instead of just feeling bad for them.
  4. Living in a Muslim country, fasting lets the people in my community know that I respect them, their culture and their religion.  Every day people ask if I am fasting, and when I answer affirmatively, they get so excited!  I feel honored that they always include me in Ramadan activities, even though they know I am not Muslim.
  5. It is fun!  I especially like breaking fast at my host family’s house.  We get all of our ftar (breakfast) meal ready a few minutes before the dusk prayer call, and sit quietly waiting for the sound of the prayer call.  And then we all smile, sit back, and enjoy the exquisite food before us.
  6. I just need to reiterate the delicious food we make for Ramadan.  Today, I helped Najma make slou, an almondy-buttery-spicy-flour thing that is just so delicious!  Tomorrow morning I am going over to make chebekia.  And the dates, OH the dates!  It is date season so they are fresh off the trees of Zagora (a southern province).

 

Last year my first day of Ramadan was spent carrying a cat on 5 hours of public transportation and I was miserable.  I made a much better decision today, and stayed at home for most of the day.  I made an apple cinnamon cake to take to my host family, and started reading parts of the Quran (how can we respect a religion if we don’t understand it?). 

 

Two hours before breaking fast, Ijjou (host mom) and I went outside to pick prickly pears and figs off the trees.  We both just wanted to keep busy until we could eat.  I had a great ftar with my lovely host family, and now I am back home, thoroughly enjoying liter after liter of water. 

 

Ramadan Mubarak Said!

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thay was beautiful Erin!
Love,
Mom

Bonnie said...

Happy Ramadan..and all that it entails...
Love the informative updates.
Happy you are doing well:)