Sunday, August 16, 2009

Coffee Drinkers Are Lazy?


So I've been thinking about this for a while.  In America, most coffee drinkers use a drip coffee machine, right?  Well, here in Morocco, I have a French Press.  I absolutely love it.  It makes great coffee, and is easy to use.  Or so I thought.  All I need to do is scoop 2 spoons full of ground coffee into the press, pour in boiling, wait 5 minutes, and voila!  Delicious coffee.  Even Starbucks personnel claim that French Press coffee is the best.  So why then had I never heard of, let alone seen anyone use a French Press before i came here?  


So then I started thinking about tea drinkers.  As far as I am aware, tea drinkers don't generally use some sort of drip tea machine.  They boil water, and wait for their tea to steep.  Sounds like the same process as my French Press to me.  Why not coffee drinkers?  The only thing I can possibly think of is that coffee drinkers are lazier than tea drinkers.  Or maybe they are just more rushed.  

Anyway, I woke up with these thoughts this morning.  Now I will finish my French Press coffee and make the trek down to souk before it gets too hot.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I used a French press in the US before moving to Morocco (couldn't find one there though, and ended up using its cousin, the caffeteria), but I think the primary reason so many people use them in the US is quantity (well, and the fact that all mass-produced coffee is ground for drip). Either way, French press just tastes so much better!

Bonnie said...

My son Adam has used a French press for years now..and won't even drink my drip coffee. I've never taken the time to try coffee from the French press...Why, I don't know, but now you have sparked an interest to do so. Will let you know what I think.