Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rain, VSN, Work


 9/18/08

So today is a good day.  We had our first big rain since I arrived in site; it has been raining all day long!  (Apparently it hasn't rained like this in 3 years!) The best part is….I only have 2 leaks in my whole house!  I had pictured buckets everywhere, catching the rain coming into my house….but so far so good.  There is a leak under my front door, and then one in the hall ceiling.  But we are talking slow drips…nothing a little bucket can’t take care of!  So that’s good. 

 

This morning was actually my first time back at my site in an entire week!  This past week I had VSN (Volunteer Support Network) training about 12 hours away, near Taznakht.  VSN is a volunteer-based peer support group for Morocco PCVs.  We had a great time, 6 of us being trained in basic counseling skills.  We had 3 great trainers, and had a lot of fun altogether.  The training was at a Small Business Development Volunteer’s house, a sprawling traditional house that made a great training site.  Her women’s association weaves carpets…..absolutely gorgeous!  I plan on saving for one to buy before I finish my service here.  It is sad though, because the women do not get a lot of foot traffic through their association, so like in many places in Morocco, they give these incredible carpets to store owners who sell them in Marrakech for absurd amounts of money.  In exchange, the women receive goods like flour or sugar….but NOTHING compared to the price the store owners get in ‘Kech. 

 

Pardon my digression…..so yes, we had a great week, with some great food.  Turns out our hosting volunteer is an amazing cook so we had Penne a la Vodka, Lasagna, Coconut curry, and stir fry as dinners.  DELICIOUS.  Of course I, along with 3 other volunteers, had to miss out on some delicious lunches (Ramadan is half way over!), but the dinners were phenomenal. 

 

So on my way back to site yesterday I stopped in Tiznit to meet with some Ministry people, and had a very successful day.  After meeting with the Ministry of Health rep, and the Ministry of Education Health Education rep, I am officially approved to begin teaching in the schools here.  I will be working in 5 schools, 4 primary schools of about 25-30 kids each, and a junior high with 150 kids (only 22 girls L ).  It took some badgering, but I got the Ministry of Education rep to send out my authorization this week so I can meet the kids in the next 2 weeks and begin teaching in October.  I will be doing lessons ranging from dental hygiene, to nutrition, to first aid, to reproductive health. 

 

In addition, a Youth Development Volunteer in my region and I have been discussing the plans for an HIV/AIDS awareness event with the youth of the region.  There will be an AIDS skit competition, which will be videotaped and compiled to make a video for PCVs to use throughout the country.  The YD Volunteer has secured the venue and met with the local AIDS organization in Tiznit, and I got a commitment from the Ministry of Health to participate in the event.  We are shooting for 2 days in November…..we’ll see…inshallah all will work out.      

 

 

2 comments:

Stephanie H said...

It is awesome to read about the work you are doing. I love the AIDS/HIV skit thing. Sounds like a neat idea. Can't wait to hear stories about working with kids!

Anonymous said...

I'm always thrilled to read a new entry on your blog, and proud of you for all the great work you are doing. Keep up that enthusiasm... it inspires all those lives you touch with your spirit!